Watford FC 2 Leeds united 2 – Never Give Up

Watford FC 2 Leeds united 2 – Never Give Up.  It was a game of two halves, but Leeds never give up.  Leeds left it too late to win relying on Joseph to equalise late on.

Watford FC 2 Leeds united 2 – Never Give Up.  It was a game of two halves, but Leeds never give up.  Watford FC took advantage of Leeds not getting out of first gear in the first half, deservedly in the lead.  But regained their form in the second half, with attacking substitutions that made the difference but Leeds could only draw and Ipswich Town’s win left Leeds in second place. Ultimately, a poor first half cost Leeds a win.

Coming into this Good Friday fixture it was a mixed picture from this afternoon’s results with Leicester City losing (again) to Bristol City and dropping out of the top two places, Southampton FC drawing, but with Ipswich Town winning they went top, so Leeds United needed to win this match to go back to the top where they started the day.

Leeds United suffered from the internationals last week with three injuries – Roberts, Gruev and Gnonto injured – leaving Leeds short of their best eleven that have won all but one of their league matches in the last three months.  Cooper and James got a start. 

It was a slow start for Leeds as their make shift team unusually could not get out of their own half. Watford, however, quickly moved the ball and pinned Leeds back testing their defence. Watford’s aggressive approach saw Kayambe all over Summerville like a rash, which Summerville took offence, and gave him a push, who then belatedly remembered to fall over.

Summerville managed to eek out a shot on target that showed his ability to find openings.  But then a Watford counter attack from their own half saw Leeds’ defence opened up for the first time in 21 hours with their defence failing to properly mark Bayo who scored the opening goal.  Leeds could have been a second goal down as they failed to clear their lines with an outstanding intervention from Rodon saving their blushes.

A stunning goal from Summerville just after the half hour brought the score back level.  Making the same shot he tried earlier in the match he went dribbling round the corner of the penalty and fired the ball into the far top corner of the net that it was hard even for him to see when he took the shot.

Just behalf half time Watford responded with a fine individual effort from Dennis as he managed to squeeze the ball past Rodon, mirroring what Summerville had achieved earlier. The poor first half for Leeds showed how they had conceded six corners and two goals to Watford.

After ten minutes into the second half Leeds started to dominate but James and Bamford could not get in to the match. Then, when Dennis went off injured Leeds took control.  Farke went for attack – Gray swapped wth Amapadu into midfield and our attacking defender, Firpo, was subbed on.  James finally got to into the match whilst Watford sat deep protecting their lead.

With Leeds struggling to break through the Watford defence it was a last throw of the dice with Anthony and Joseph brought on for the last ten minutes. Joseph, 25 seconds on the pitch, shot in front of goal, for it to be parried away by the keeper back to Joseph whose stuck out leg and scored the equaliser.

Leeds never give up, putting Watford against the wall with Summerville sending in the crosses on the left. Leeds eventually ran out of time and ended the day second with Leicester City a game in hand.  All to play for on Easter Monday.

Man of the match; Summerville who scored a wonder goal and kept creating chances on the left.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *